Bear with me as I catch up on postings from the month of April. Always have the best intentions, getting the pictures uploaded quite quickly but writing and posting is my downfall. Maybe because downtime has become less and less these days and when I think about hopping on the computer, Avery is monopolizing it by google searching something! The other night I was asking him a question and he said, "Mom, just google it to see what I am talking about!" Really? That's what happens when the school gives kinder I-pads to use in class. It's all Google Earth this, Google Sky that... I don't feel old unless we start talking technology. It's bad when Avery changed the background on my phone and I couldn't change it back - so HE showed me how! Gulp.
So onto the post. The 1st weekend in April we loaded up and made the hour plus drive to the happening town of Poteet for the Annual Poteet Strawberry Festival. I say happening because the directions I had took us the back roads. Talk about a beautiful drive on a sunny Saturday afternoon. But when we drove through the town of boarded up storefronts it kinda reminded me of Children of the Corn. Where are the people? We almost thought I had the wrong weekend till we hit Hwy 16 and there it was - an endless car line into the grounds! Started in 1948 the Poteet Festival welcomed 5,000 folks and this year they were expecting over 100,000. It's the largest Agricultural Event in the State of Texas, the oldest and most popular. So you can imagine how excited I was to see Pat Green on the line-up for Saturday evening entertainment.

It was hot even for "Spring" thanks to the gulf humidity but we found some shade off the side of the stage and sat in the grass to cool off with juice and adult beverages.

It was one of those moments I will cherish, listening to my favorite singer with my kiddos in my lap and my hubby next to me. A moment of pure happiness even though Avery made us leave halfway through the set bc it was "too loud" and he wouldn't stop covering his ears. Hence, I am writing this to remind him when he's 16 and wants to go to a concert of his choice... ha, ha.

They had all of the typical carnival "stuff" from rides to food booths and more food booths. Ella enjoyed her cotton candy and Avery couldn't get enough of the rides.
We saw some calf roping, stared at a pit of live rattlesnakes and took in a few other side shows.

The only pictures I managed to take was at the games. Avery and Ella both won a toy so they were content.

Good thing we rested up ON THE WAY to Poteet! Can you say wired on the drive home?!
Children of the Corn! I ALWAYS think of you when someone mentions that movie!! Looks like you guys had a blast. Love the sleeping in the car pics... those are def my favorites!!
ReplyDeleteIt's still one of my all time favorites, why I don't know. Maybe bc I knew I wasn't supposed to be watching it and I was scared to death but couldn't turn it off. Saw the remake the other day by the way- horrible! Why would anyone even attempt, lol. Makes me happy to know you think of me :) HA!
ReplyDelete